Date: September - October 2010
In order to distribute the power from the Rødsand 2 offshore Windfarm, SEAS-NVE decided to reinforce the existing transmission system between Lolland and Zealand with a 145 kV cable system connection. The contract for supply and installation was awarded to ABB.
The submarine cable system consists of two parallel circuits due to the high demand for transmission capacity on this system.
The cable system is named O120 and consists of a submarine cable system between the two coastlines on Lolland and Zealand. The cable link was established as:
- 14.6 km land cable from VLO to the coast at Kastager Hage (O120-A)
- 28.1 km submarine cable from Kastager Hage to Sevedø (O120-B)
- 4.7 km land cable from Sevedø to STV (O120-C)
JD-Contractor A/S was contracted to carry out the transport and installation of the two submarine cables.
JD-Contractor A/S' assignment was to:
- Load the submarine cables in Karlskrona and transport it to the site.
- Pull-in of the cables at Sevedø through a directional-drilled duct approx. 300 meters up to the transition joint.
- Lay the 2 X 28 km submarine cables, primarily, in a pre-excavated trench from Kastager Hage to Sevedø (O120-B)
- Pull-in of the cables at Kaster Hage through a directional-drilled duct approx. 300 meters up to the transition joint.
- Unload the spare cables at quayside in Stigsnæs.
The installation was performed by the Cable barge Henry P. Lading along with a number of our other vessels assisting. In spite of at times very unfavourable weather conditions during the installation period, the comprehensive installation work, with installation of two large 3-core cables, at a distance of almost 29 km, was completed within the time frame, and the cable system was taken into operation by the end of 2010.