Installation of four single core cables and three fibre optic cables across Cork Harbour in Ireland
NKT-cables was awarded the contract for the supply and installation of four single core power cables and bundled fibre optic cables across the Cork Harbour, from Whitegate to Ringaskiddy by ESB Networks in Ireland.
NKT-cables subcontracted JD-Contractor A/S to carry out the installation and embedding of the cables including the foreshore work and the cable pulling operation at both landings.
Scope of Work for JD-Contractor A/S:
- Loading of the four single core submarine cables in Rotterdam onto the turntable of C/B Henry P. Lading.
- Loading of the three fibre optic cable on three individual drums in Rotterdam
- Installation of the four cables (whereof three were bundled with the fibre optic cables).
- Embedding by means of jetting of the installed submarine cables.
- Foreshore work with pre excavated trenches out to a maximum of 100 m from the shore.
- Cable pulling operations at both landing points.
The cables were installed by our Cable Barge Henry P. Lading between 2 to 16 March, and the post-burial of the cables by means of jetting was done from the Self-propelled barge S/B Victor from late March to late May 2010. Consequently the installation was successfully completed by end of May 2011, well before ESB Networks had scheduled the cable system to be taken into operation.
- C/B Henry P. Lading.
- S/B Victor
- M/S Vina