The client: Energinet.dk
The place: The Baltic, Denmark
The work: In April-May 2006 JD-Contractor A/S was hired as main contractor for the repair of the Kontek cable south of Gedser in the Baltic, Denmark. Our diving and support ship DSV-C/S Cable One was sent to the area to repair damage to the cable. The ship was assisted by the jack-up platform Playmate during the repair work.
The project started with the mobilization of the platform and the mounting of containers and equipment onto the platform. Then it was towed to the repair position in the Baltic where it was jacked-up solid in the seabed next to terminal strip 6 on the Kontek cable.
The damaged cable was cut and then taken onboard Playmate, so the jointers onboard the platform could perform the splicing of the cable.
Here the damaged cable was repaired on the platform, laid out again and then DSV-C/S Cable One embedded the submarine cable into the seabed. After the repair and embedding of the submarine cable was successfully finished the jack-up platform and vessels were demobilized.
The following vessels were used during the work:
DSV-C/S Cable One:
1. Free-jetting the cable on both sides of the terminal strip.
2. Assistance to Explorer during the cutting of the submarine cable.
3. Used as diving ship, guard ship and floating hotel.
4. Embedding of the repaired cable.
Jack-up platform Playmate:
1. The cable jointers used the jack-up platform for cable splicing at sea.
1. Transportation of crew and equipment between jack-up platform and C/S Cable One.
The work was scheduled to last three weeks and was carried out as planned.